Our aim is to become carbon literate and to support Tideswell and District in becoming a low carbon community.
Things we've been doing...
- We have planned our activities around the Seven Steps to Save the Planet featured in Faith Johnson’s talk to TDEG in September 2019.
- Our Spring 2020 newsletter featured energy use and climate plus tips on how to take steps to reduce our carbon footprint. On sustainable card, including a poster on local recycling, 900 newsletters were distributed locally.
- We have now established a link with Tideswell Parish Council and will develop support for climate and environment council business. We have also made positive links with other local climate action groups, and are currently looking at developing a Climate Action Youth Forum to give our young people a voice in climate and ecological matters
- Group members have supported each other with individual actions, such as sharing ideas on ways to reduce our carbon footprint, campaigning against fossil fuel expansion such as fracking, and writing to our MP to ask her to support the Climate & Ecological Emergency (CEE) Bill.
Things you can do...
- You can calculate your own carbon footprint using the WWF Carbon Footprint Calculator. This also helps you to make choices and take action to reduce your own environmental impact.
- More energy saving advice is available from a range of helpful organisations. A free Home Energy Check can be obtained through the Buxton Transition Group. Energy saving advice and information about grants for households can be obtained from the Energy Saving Trust or from this government endorsed web site Simple Energy Advice
- We know that we will all have to do our bit and make changes in our food choices, travel, energy use and behaviour, in order to address this problem. The Centre for Alternative Technology Zero Carbon Britain Project shows “that a modern, zero emissions society is possible using today’s technology.”
Thursday 10th September at 7:00-8:30pm: The Climate Action Group look forward to welcoming XR High Peak, who will be presenting: ‘HEADING FOR EXTINCTION AND WHAT