The Recycling group aims to improve awareness of recycling amongst local residents and identify ways of filling the gaps in the current recycling arrangements in our area, through working with our local authorities and other groups
Things we've been doing...
- “Rob’s Recycling Revelations” is a regular item on the TDEG Facebook page and in the “Did You Know” section of the Village Voice.
- Our pop-up recycling facilities remain a part of TDEG meetings at Fountain Square Church. The growing list of items that can be brought along for recycling includes:
- Unwanted IT equipment, including smartphones, laptops and PCs (preferably less than 5 years old)
- Old toothbrushes, toothpaste tubes, and make-up containers
- Large round chocolate tubs, e.g. Celebrations, Heroes etc (to be reused rather than recycled – so plastic tubs with lids please)
- Crisp packets
- We put together a leaflet to summarise the kerbside recycling options along with suggestions of where to recycle other items that are not part of the kerbside collection. This leaflet has now gone out to all residents in Tideswell and is available to new residents as part of the Welcome Pack from Tideswell & District Community Association.
- Two of us spent an evening with the 1st Tideswell Cub group engaging the cubs in activities based around recycling. It was an action-packed, engaging and educational evening and one of the posters produced by the cubs now features on the Recycling leaflet.
- At our TDEG meeting on 5 February 2020, Anne Welch from Derbyshire County Council addressed the meeting on the theme of recycling.
Things you can do...
- Remember the important slogan – Reduce, Re-use, Recycle . Using less stuff and re-using old items is just as important as recycling effectively . We need to reduce the amount of waste we produce and the new resources we use unsustainably in our modern society.
- Take advantage of the new recycling opportunities in the area.
- We have organised crisp packet collections at the Tideswell Co-op, and boxes are also available in Litton Village shop and at the club in Cressbrook.
- The Star Inn and the Horse & Jockey in Tideswell have continued to be very supportive by saving their own crisp packets. A team of volunteers works behind the scenes collecting the packets and passing them on to the Girls’ Brigade at Cliff College, Calver.
- Tideswell Pharmacy recycle spectacles and hearing aides.
- 18 Bikes in Hope recycle old inner tubes.