The Litter Picking group aims to make our local area cleaner, more beautiful and wildlife friendly, by reducing the amount of litter dropped, carrying out litter picking activities, and recycling as much picked litter as possible.
Things we've been doing...
- We have regular litter picks, which generally take place every two months, for an hour on a Sunday afternoon. We usually clear litter from the verges along arterial roads into our villages, green spaces and communal areas.
- The group received funding to buy litter picking sticks and collection sacks. We have also received second hand hi-vis jackets via ‘Freegle’.
- We joined the Great British Spring Clean event 2020, organised by Derbyshire Dales District Council, and received special collection bags and litter pick sticks to mark the event. .
Things you can do...
- Come along to our litter picks, we need as many volunteers as possible – all ages welcome. It’s a simple and practical thing you can do to help. It’s sociable too!
- Get involved in developing projects to tackle the seemingly intractable problem of people dropping litter in and around our local villages. We want to work towards eliminating litter, not simply picking it up. We have time for group discussions to develop such projects at the TDEG meetings.