– Everyone is welcome on our summer wildlife walks. There is no charge, but booking is required so we can monitor and manage numbers, contact participants in case of emergencies, and ensure everyone is safe.
Please follow the relevant link below to book on to individual events. Not all the events have all details confirmed yet. If there is no active booking link currently showing, it will be added at a later date.
Children under 16 years old are welcome, if accompanied by a parent or guardian. Further advice about the walks and other guidance is available on the booking forms.
1. Orchids and other wild flowers in Millers Dale –
Wednesday 21 June, 6pm – 8pm, meet at Millers Dale Station Car park. We’ll go on a short walk along the Monsal Trail and around local nature reserves to see how many wildflower species we can find (and hopefully some orchids). The walk is not long, but there are some steps and some steep sections. Please wear good footwear.
2. Exploring farming life on a local beef and sheep farm –
Saturday 8 July, 2pm – 4pm – at the kind invitation of Rosemary and Jim Furness, Beech Farm, Taddington. We will meet by Radder Lane, on the Main Road on the eastern side of Taddington, (Grid Ref – SK150711). Please share cars if driving. Please do not bring dogs, as there will be young cows in the fields.
3. Stream Dipping with the Peak District National Park Rangers – POSTPONED – SEE NEW DATE BELOW
Sunday 23 July, 10am- 12 noon. A great event for families. We’ll be using nets to find freshwater life in Tideswell
Brook, accompanied by our local Peak District National Park Ranger, Kate Wilson. Meeting in Tideswell Dale car park (remember your wellingtons!).
4. Butterflies in Tansley Dale and Cressbrook Dale – POSTPONED – SEE NEW DATE BELOW
5. Bat Walk in Tideswell Dale –
Monday 14 August, 8pm- 10pm. An evening walk in August with the Derbyshire Bat Group. Starting at Tideswell Dale Car Park, we will walk down Tideswell Dale, looking and listening for different species of bats (using the Derbyshire Bat Group’s echolocation bat detectors).
6. RESCHEDULED – Stream Dipping in Tideswell Dale
Sunday 20 August, 10am- 12 noon. A great event for families. We’ll be using nets to find freshwater life in Tideswell Brook, accompanied by our local Peak District National Park Ranger, Kate Wilson. Meeting in Tideswell Dale car park (remember your wellingtons!). Let’s hope for better weather this time.
7. RESCHEDULED – Butterflies in Tideswell Dale
Sunday – 20 August, 10am- 12 noon. Starting in Tideswell Dale car park, this will be a gentle walk along the dale looking for butterflies with some of the TDEG butterfly team. This walk will be around the general location of the stream dipping event above, so participants will be able to drop in on the stream dipping as well, if they wish.
Please book again, even if you already booked for the event we had to cancel due to the bad weather on Saturday 5 August.