Lynn, Jules, Sue, Laura B, Sheelagh, Deborah
Andrea, Rob, Suzanne, Steve, Josie, Laura S
Members present introduced themselves to Laura B.
3. Notes of the last meeting
4. Actions arising :
Bishop Pursglove School: Andrea has approached Rosie, a member of staff, who is happy to be our link.
- Surnames have been removed from the web site where possible. However, Google stores information after a website page has existed for a certain amount of time, and full names on those pages can still be found in the Google Index, even though the page no longer exists. When the Annual Report goes out to members, it will have full names, but a redacted version will be put on the website.
- Discussion around TDEG communications and how this might be done is ongoing. We are very grateful to Claire for having fulfilled this role so well. We are trying to prioritise items with Village Voice. Sheelagh has received the donation of a large eco printer. It has not been used for two and a half years, and help is needed to get it fully functional again. Lynn will ask Pete H and Peter L if they can help, or if they know of anyone else in the village who could be approached.
- Queen’s Green Canopy progress – on main agenda.
- Ethical Consumer Magazine: Jules to approach local library to see if they would like to keep back copies.
- Publicity and final organisation for the DWT presentation on beavers on 24th November – completed, and there was a good turnout for the meeting.
- Thoughts about the next whole group meeting on 2nd March – all arranged – thanks to Sheelagh and the CAG for this.
- Lynn has sent formal thank you emails for funding to Tideswell Parish Council, Derbyshire Dales DC and Frack Free group.
- Laura B is our new litter pick group lead – welcome.
5. Updates from Honorary Officers
- Chair (Lynn) – Lynn is stepping down as Chair at the AGM. We will also need a new Communications Officer. Lynn will make notes of what both roles entail. Everyone to think of anyone who might be interested in the posts.
- Treasurer (Laura S) – Laura sent the meeting a document outlining the TDEG accounts. There is a total of £1493 in the bank, and £19.50 in cash. This will be circulated to all Committee Members. Project leaders and people running sub projects to review their budgets before the AGM, to see if they still need all their money, or if it could be reallocated to the unrestricted general fund (with the funders’ permission).
- Secretary (Deborah) – nothing to report.
6. Updates from Project Groups :
Climate action group –
- Sheelagh will write up a post for the website about renewable energy retrofits. She is also pursuing a second meeting with Sarah Dines, MP. Bill has been pressing Sarah Dines on the barriers DDC has in place on being able to roll out retrofit and insulation measures.
The Climate Pathfinders Youth Forum need to have a local named person for their safeguarding policy (which is overseen by Friends of the Earth): Sue offered to fulfil this role – thank you.
Ethical consumer group –
- Thanks to Jules for taking on project lead for the time being. Claire has made an enormous contribution to this part of TDEG, for which we are very grateful. All our thoughts are with Claire and her family at this difficult time.
- Jules reported that Derbyshire Dales Council for Voluntary Service has given £800 towards the Repair Cafe, so that funding has now reached its target. It will be in the new Community Centre, which will be operational from April. It will join the Repair Cafe International Foundation, and there are several insurers who will provide cover. There will be a briefing for repairers, and it is hoped that some will attend the East Midlands Fix Fest in Chesterfield in mid March. There will need to be more people in an organising role.
- Used stamp collecting: Beth L is setting up a project for an animal charity, with a collecting place in the church. Sue already sends used stamps to RNIB. She pointed out that this has to be done before October 2023, when bar codes will replace stamps. Sheelagh said the pharmacy also take used stamps. Maybe Rob M would like to collate opportunities? Options could be put in Village Voice. Jules will liaise with Beth L and Rob.
Litter picking group –
- Many thanks to Suzanne & Steve for all the work they have done, organising the picks, sorting out equipment, and putting insurance in place. Lynn will check to see if they wish to remain on the Committee.
- Laura B was welcomed as the new lead. Laura will confirm the date of the next litter pick (probably end of March). Lynn will re-add litter picking to the Joiners’ page on the website.
Recycling group –
- Rob is happy to liaise with Laura B, because of the overlap between the two projects.
- Rob continues to put pieces in Village Voice and on Facebook.
Wildlife group –
- Suzanne and Josie will meet with the Tideswell & Litton Beaver group on 23 March. Anna P who leads the group would like a session from TDEG every term – e.g. on recycling, reducing plastic etc. Cubs and Scouts might also be interested. Project Group leaders to consider possible topics.
- A raptor corridor is going to be established from Hathersage to Buxton, via Tideswell by Lester Hartmann and Mark Cocker. There will be the opportunity to have bird of prey nest boxes in the Tideswell area. Details will be in the next newsletter.
- There might be a joint project with Tideswell Parish Council on land behind Nicholson Court. TPC would like to manage it for wildflowers, and would like advice from TDEG, if they were successful in getting management responsibility.
7. Queen’s Green Canopy project
- After a task team meeting on 27 January, with several local groups involved, there has been rapid progress, with a `launch day` planned for 20 March. Up to 400 free trees are being offered by the PDNPA. A draft web page (still in development & yet to be shared with the task team) has more information – https://tdeg.org.uk/queens-jubilee-tree-planting/ Please give feedback to Lynn about this draft page.
- People can apply for free trees via the web page or on the planting day. It is proposed that the trees will be given out behind St John’s Church on 20 March, in the yard in front of the old school.
- Andrea has made contact with Litton and Bishop Pursglove schools. Sheelagh reported that Litton school want to plant trees, and also a hedge around their entire boundary. Bishop Pursglove would like to get pupils and parents involved in planting trees in their own space.
- Jules wondered about the new Markovitz site, but Lynn said we cannot give them any trees which might be part of their planning permission requirements. Although we could provide additional trees to the conditions.
- PDNPA want a grid reference for each tree planted. We probably have enough initial sites for the planting on 20th March. Those applying for trees will need to be able to plant them themselves. Anyone who is unable to do this might get assistance from the scouts, if there are enough DBS checked adults who can go out with them.
- It is proposed that the St John’s site will be open in the morning for people taking a small number of trees, but where there will be large scale planting, trees might be delivered to the appropriate site. It is expected that planting will go on all day.
- Insurance will not be available through PDNPA. Sheelagh will check with Friends of the Earth re insurance (notification likely to be needed two weeks in advance.) Sheelagh and Lynn will work on a risk assessment.
- The task team will also want to work on promotion of the project over the summer. The task team is due to meet next on 24th February.
8. Proposal to commemorate Claire’s contribution to TDEG.
Everyone is agreed that we want to find a way of commemorating Claire’s very considerable contribution to TDEG. There are several proposals, including a rewilded area as a garden area for quiet reflection; a trust fund linking Claire’s passions for education and the environment; a celebration of the things young people are doing for the environment. It was agreed that there is no expectation that a decision can be reached at this stage. Lynn will talk to John, Claire’s husband, about the various proposals. All to let Lynn know of any other ideas.
9. Next whole group meeting on 2 March
The Renewable Energy Enterprise (TREE) will give a presentation, focusing on renewable energy options for your home. Promotion well underway, thanks to Andrea and the Climate Action Group. Sheelagh will produce a poster and Lynn will try to get it printed.
10. Proposals and date for the AGM in June.
- Provisional date: 15 June 2022. It is hoped that it will be possible to have this meeting in person.
- It was proposed that the theme should connect with the Queen’s Jubilee Trees project. Laura B suggested emphasising the 70 year aspect, comparing 1952 with 2022, and how Tideswell could be in 2092. She suggested using 1950s’ and current pictures, e.g. of houses or the surrounding area, and getting young people to draw pictures of what they might look like in the future. Sue said the Living History Group would know which buildings they have several pictures of, taken over the years. It was felt that trees could be part of this past/present/future overview.
- Sheelagh suggested a vote for the village’s favourite tree. It was also felt that there should be a speaker. Possibilities included Carina, Paul Black or Frag Last (Sheelagh to email the contact to Deborah).
- All to consider proposals for the AGM and share with the Committee.
11. Date of next Committee meeting –
18th May (provisional)
- Lynn will ask Pete H and Peter L if they can help with the printer, or if they know of anyone else in the village who could be approached.
- Jules to approach local library to see if they would like to keep back copies of the EC Magazine.
- Lynn will make notes of what the Chair and Communications Officer roles entail.
- Accounts to be circulated to all Committee Members. Project leaders and people running sub projects to review their budgets before the AGM, to see if they still need all their money, or if it could be reallocated to the unrestricted general fund (with the funders’ permission).
- Sue offered to fulfil the CPYF safeguarding role – Sheelagh and Sue to liaise.
- Jules will liaise with Beth L and Rob M re stamp collecting opportunities.
- Lynn will check to see if Suzanne and Steve wish to remain on the Committee.
- Laura B will confirm the date of the next litter pick (probably end of March).
- Rob is happy to liaise with Laura B over recycling and litter picking links.
- Lynn will re-add litter picking to the Joiners’ page on the website.
- Project Group leaders to consider possible topics for the Beavers, Cubs and Scouts groups.
- Please give feedback to Lynn about the draft QGC page. https://tdeg.org.uk/queens-jubilee-tree-planting/
- Sheelagh will check with Friends of the Earth re insurance for the QGC planting day (notification likely to be needed two weeks in advance.) Sheelagh and Lynn will work on a risk assessment.
- Lynn will talk to John, Claire’s husband, about the various proposals. All to let Lynn know of any other ideas.
- Sheelagh will produce a poster for the next whole group meeting on 2 March, and Lynn will try to get it printed.
- All to consider proposals for the AGM (provisionally 15 June 2022) and share with the Committee.